Re[2]: Snail eating VFT

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 13:34:48 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:34:48 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: Snail eating VFT

VFTS with 6 inch arms and large traps are not that uncommon among VFT
growers. This is a sure sign that you are doing the right thing. VFTS
do tend to produce long arms and large traps in the spring. A lot has
to do with their growing conditions and rather or not the plant is
sending up a flower spike. Large containers, lots of fat bugs and lots
of bright sun brings out the best in them. Flowering VFTs tend to be a
little smaller if the flower spike is not removed. Once the flower
spike is removed, the plant will direct it's energy back into the traps.
What is truly rare and beautiful is to see a VFT with two inch trap on a
short arm. These plants look like bear traps sitting on the ground and
when they are in full color, they are even more beautiful. Good luck
with your plant.
                                 Charles Brewer

To add what I know to this (since the plant came from me and I got my
original one from Marston Exotics over 9 years ago), I don't know for
sure what type of VFT it is but someone saw one at a UK CPS Open Day
and said it was probably a 'Marston Giant Clone'.