Re: Snail eating VFT / VFT hybrids

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 13:45:08 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:45:08 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Snail eating VFT / VFT hybrids

>I have a VFT wich I am told is a Hybrid, it has arms about 6 inches
>long with jaws that are quite large,

Bruce's comment about having a hybrid VFT got me thinking. With all the
talk about cultivars and clone naming etc I was wondering about the
definition of hybrid. In botany, does hybrid mean an interspecies cross
(and therefore not heard of with Dionaea) or would a cross between two
Dionaea clones (for example Red Dragon and Akai Ryu) be accurately called
a hybrid? If not, what would it be called?

>Will the jaws be powerful enough to crush the shell? it's been in
>there about a week and it hasn't reopened.

I would say no. However it is very likely successfully digesting some of
the soft body parts of the snail.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]