VFT and aphids

From: Edward M. Bradburn (essemb@bath.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 02:51:22 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:51:22 +0100 (BST)
From: "Edward M. Bradburn" <essemb@bath.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT and aphids

Dear List,

I've recently had an aphid attack on my VFT, which I combatted by plunging
the VFT into (distilled) water for a day, as recommended by some growers,
and then snipping off any diseased stems.

And before you ask, unfortunately I didn't realise until too late that the
distorted leaves were due to aphids in the first place...

Now at the moment, I'm continuing to feed the traps very small live
slugs/earwigs when they re-open, and my question really is:

Should I keep feeding it these critters now it's entering dormancy or
not? I want it to recover from being eaten by aphids and having half its
stems chopped off, but is feeding in dormancy recommended or not?

(The climate here is great for molluscs, but not really for flies, hence
my feeding routine. I've also found that pill bugs cement the traps shut
when eaten, so they really are a one-use food. Hence I don't use them
now.)

Any help please!

Ed Bradburn