A good point about Sarrs

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 13:58:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:58:46 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: A good point about Sarrs

Dave Evans wrote:

   Hmm... I think this is more related to poor soil and lighting
conditions than any other factors. I have noticed Sarracenia that
are well shaded succumb to this far more often than those in brighter
light. Often when I let plants grow as they may in my bogs, a plant
will make so many leaves and growth points that it starts to shade and
bury some parts of the rhizome. If something isn't done soon, I'll
find the center of the plant eaten away (brown and mushy), and maybe
a couple side branches will be viable.

A good point Dave! Before I relocated my Sarracenias to a sunnier portion of
my yard ( advised by my friend and longtime CP'er David Kutt) my plant
losses largely occurred in spring. The damp, cool conditions my plants
experienced in those shadier areas led to crown and stem rot, largely with
the species that are low growers (psittacina, purpurea, hybrids). Once they
were relocated to a place that got full sun most of the day my problems with
this subsided. I believe it may also help to provide less water and more air
movement during the spring and early summer.

Of course some plants are genetically predisposed to infection moreso than
others. A mature S. purpurea from the same parentage as the one in the next
pot over may succumb for no reason. Spraying the medium and leaves with a
good fungicide such as Benomyl 50% WP once a month in winter and spring may
help ward off this cursed affliction, being preventative rather than first
aid.

Good growing,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio