Re: epiphytic Nepenthes

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 06:55:26 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:55:26 EST
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: epiphytic Nepenthes

<< Hi all,
 I want to create a trunk on which several Epiphyts are fixed fo a friend`s
 greenhouse. I`ve heard that some Nepenthes grow epiphytic, too. Now I want
 to know which Nepenthes I can fix to the stem and how I should do this?
 Can sombody help me?

 Thanks

 Marc

The 'classic' epiphytic Nepenthes is N. veitchii, which has both highland and
lowland forms, all worth cultivating. I have grown a few as pure epiphytes,
although they do well (better in fact) when treated as other species. If you
use a section of cork bark as the substrate or 'host' you will find the uneven
texture of the bark will allow you do place small pockets of media within,
enough to start a seedling or small plant of N. vietchii. Care must be taken
on watering, both not to dislodge the seedling or not to allow the plant to
dry out too much. within time the plant will began to crawl up the log, using
its leaves to grasp the log and forcing its pitchers into cracks as an
additional anchor. Also I have discovered that one of the reasons for the huge
peristome of the species is that it will reflex around vines, hangers, or
anything else while in the final stages of development and this acts as
additional holding power.

To the bark you can add ant-plants, hoya, dischidia, orchids, etcs. and if you
are not a purist, bromeliads, epiphytic cacti, etc. Eventually you will have
a 'slice' of the forest.

Cliff