re: Improper labels

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 06:29:17 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:29:17 -0500 (EST)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Improper labels

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Nicholas Plummer wrote:

> What is it about the DeRoose nursery that makes them incapable of
> labeling correctly?
>
> cheers,
> Nick
>
> --------------------------------

Here in central Florida, we see the same improper labels on CPs in mass
market outlets (like Home Depot). I have even seen VFTs labeled at pitcher
plants and sundews labelled as VFT's!

I suspect that the cause has to do with the laborers who are working at the
re-potting facility. They don't know a VFT from a rose, and don't care.
They just grab the next label in the pile and stick it in the pot. Also,
the re-potting company buys or makes up labels by the thousands or millions
at a time. The local (central Florida) wholesaler purchases trays of
starter plants from the tissue culture business and re-pots them for the
commercial outlet. I am confident that the plants are properly labelled
when they leave the tissue culture facility, but that is the last time you
can expect the right name to appear on the pot until you take it home and
re-identify the plant.

The problem is not isolated to the vendor that Nick memtioned. Rathe, I
suspect that all the wholesalers do it.

- Carl