Re: nepenthes again

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 14:29:50 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:29:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nepenthes again

Rand Nicholson wrote:

> ...are the Neps that...grow and form reasonable pitchers _without_
> roots....

> This happens with cuttings sometimes, with the roots following within a
> short period of time, but I have observed fair sized, trapping pitchers.

I've seen Nepenthes cuttings do weird things, like develop a flower
spike before the root system achieves any reasonable size. And I've
also seen the cuttings put on a bit of growth before any roots
form at all.

In order for this to happen, the plant tissue must have a good reserve
of (chemical) energy stored up. This is the case when the donor
plant is extremely healthy and growing well.

Regards,

Perry Malouf