nepenthes again

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 09:54:10 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:54:10 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: nepenthes again

Hi,

As I have mentioned in an earlier e-mail I've got some young nepenthes
which I have placed in plastic bags. Five plants out of seven has
grown pitchers, and I guess it's because of the high humidity in the
bags.

Now I wonder if pitchers is a sure sign that the plants are doing fine,
or is it possible that high humidity can trigger the plants to grow
pitchers even though they're not well?

What decides when a species characteristic pitchers will develop
(instead of small, green ones): The size of the leaves, the plants age?

Will a nepenthes that is starved of nutrients grow smaller leaves, or
grow normal sized leaves, although in a slower rate?

Are the pitchers entirely green in all forms of lowland N. veitchii?

Does anyone know what size the pitchers on N. veitchii, Sungai Samba
(lowland) must reach before they show the enlarged peristome?

Regards

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se