Re: nepenthes again

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 04:31:52 PST

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:31:52 +0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nepenthes again

Hi All:

>Christer Berglund wrote:
>
>> Now I wonder if pitchers is a sure sign that the plants are doing fine,
>> or is it possible that high humidity can trigger the plants to grow
>> pitchers even though they're not well?

Pery responds:

>In my experience with Nepenthes, I've observed that a plant which isn't
>doing well will not produce very good pitchers, if any at all.

And just to dirty this up, are the Neps that (in my experience and others
who have posted here and to me) grow and form reasonable pitchers _without_
roots.

This happens with cuttings sometimes, with the roots following within a
short period of time, but I have observed fair sized, trapping pitchers.
This could be a survival strategy for getting nutrients to form roots.
However, this occurs with some potted Nepenthes that have lose their roots
and do not signal a decline. These would be growing upon some natural
substance, like bark or moss. Perhaps an epiphytic tendency of _some_
vining plants when stressed?

Just a guess.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Zone 5-ish on most given days
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>