RE: Red Sphagnum

From: Guy Van der Kinderen (Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 04:25:12 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:25:12 +0100
From: "Guy Van der Kinderen" <Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Red Sphagnum

Hi Mark,

Sphagnums may turn reddish with increased light intensity or changed
conditions, but some species are always, and sometimes very
intensively coloured red. At least in Europe, we have a compact
growing red species called Sphagnum rubellum. I have been
specializing in mosses and their identification many years ago, but
if you would like to know the name of your specimen, it would be a
pleasure to try to identify it. Just send me a sample (contact me
privately).

Guy