Re: Red Sphagnum

From: Tim Williams Ext. 5529 (tjw@mail.cho.ge.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 06:39:26 PST

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:39:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "Tim Williams Ext. 5529" <tjw@mail.cho.ge.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red Sphagnum

Erik asked:

>Any reason why it cant be Sphagnum rabellium ?

I checked Crum's Mosses of Eastern North America last night because
I am not familiar with this species. From Crum, this species is not
known to occur in West Virginia. In North America, it's primary range
is north of the Great Lakes.

However the closely related S. capillifolium is in West Virginia.
The gross description and habitat of this specie and S. magellanicum
are nearly identical except:

S. capillifolium - green and red tinged to distinctly red, plant slender

S. magellanicum - Plant red, stout

On the microscopic level, stem cortical cells of S. magellanicum have
delicate spiral fibers reinforcing the cell wall. There is also a single
large pore per cell. This places S. magellanicum in the section Sphagnum.
S. capillifolium lacks both fibers and pores.

These are the only two red specie that occur in WVa according to Crum.
Another four or five red specie occur 200 miles to the east along the
Atlantic coastal plain but not in WVa.

Without examining the plants, I think the coarse red sphagnum so prevalent
in WVa. is most likely S. magellanicum.

>Has anyone had sphagnum producing fruiting structures in cultivation?

Yes, I too have had sphagnum fruit.

>I believe the red _Sphagnum_ you all have is the "male" of this
>diocious genera.

Steven,

Crum says that the section Sphagnum may be either diocious or monocious
with separate male and female branches. S. magellanicum is always red,
all year long, not just in the winter or when under water stress.

Tim Williams
tim.williams@cho.ge.com