Re:N. macrovulgaris questions

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 19:28:05 PST

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 22:28:05 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N. macrovulgaris questions

Brian,
>Mr. Clarke lists the species altitudinal range as 500-800 meters. But
>he also mentions that there are naturally occurring hybrids between it
>and N. rajah. I thought this unusual for two species whose ranges don't
>even cross. He also lists a natural hybrid between macrovulgaris and
>tentaculata. And though there are some tentaculatas which grow below a
>1000 meters, as far as I can tell these are not on mountains where
>macrovulgaris grows.
>Finally, Mr. Clarke writes that (according to Phillips and Lamb, 1988,
>if I read correctly) the description for N. macrovulgaris matches the
>plant listed in Kurata (1976) labelled as N. sp. But Kurata lists the
>range for that plant as appx. 1000-1600 meters?! This would explain
>hybridization with rajah and tentaculata but the altitudinal range
>doesn't agree.

It seems to me I remember reading that the hybrid of N. macrovulgaris X N.
tentaculata occurred only on Gunung Silam, which has an unusual climate
allowing tentaculata to grow at an altitude lower than usual. I am unaware
of a natural hybrid between macrovulgaris and rajah, but macrovulgaris is
found within the confines of Kinabalu Nat'l Park, so maybe it exists. Again,
from the information I have, Kurata described the plants in Kinabalu N. P.
at 1000-1600 meters. The plants at Gunung Silam grow as low as 500 meters.
Other natural hybrids I've heard of with macrovulgaris are with N.
reinwardtiana and N hirsuta.

>From what I understand, macrovulgaris is very specific about its growing
medium, needing an ultrabasic (ultramafic) mix, and likes "intermediate"
conditions, ie. the cool side of lowland conditions. I'd love to know more
about this myself.

until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl.