The Savage Garden, page 221

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 15:29:58 PST

Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:29:58 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: The Savage Garden, page 221

Hi, this is Chad.

I read Cultivating Carnivorous Plants: The Savage Garden
by Peter D'Amato. On page 221, he wrote this: "A newly
discovered species found in Australia (unnamed at this
writing) has relatively enormous bladders approaching a
half inch in diameter."

I wrote to Allen Lowrie about that. This is his reply:
"Regarding Peter's report of a giant trapped Utric in
Australia, I know nothing about it. The two with the
largest traps are U. westonii (subgenus Polypompholyx) and
U. arnhemica. Under favorable conditions the traps will
grow 1.2cm or 1/2in long, as reported by P. Taylor. They
were named in 1986."

Anybody have more details about this newly discovered
species found in Australia? Who discovered it? Was it
identified, later? Where was it discovered?