Re: Bladders and Botswana

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 11:58:52 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:58:52 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bladders and Botswana

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores!
      Sorry I don't jump in to the conversations more frequently, but I only
have time to answer my personal email and chat line stuff on wednesdays,
usually, when I get time to work in the office.
       As to the "giant" bladders of a new species mentioned in my book, this
was from Martin Cheek's marvelous but abbreviated address he gave to the huge
crowd that attented the 1997 annual convention in Atlanta. If my memory
serves me right (it would take days to find my notes taken during his slide
show) this "new species" had been found in the northern part of Australia. I
recall an audible gasp from the audience, but know nothing further on the
subject.
       As to the plant D. "Botswana", this is the story: Several years ago one
of our customers, who happened to be an actor on the TV show "Power Rangers",
gave me the plant, which he said, to the best of my memory, he found growing
in a ditch near the Botswana Airport. It has turned out to be one of my
favorite sundews. I'm pretty sure it is a form of D. madagascariensis, but I
leave taxonomy to others. The plant grows clumps of stems several inches
long, and has leaves that are spoon shaped. It has a brief period of dormancy,
usually in winter, but does not have to dry out during that time. I grow it in
my warmhouse (50 degrees mimimun) and in unheated terrariums. In full sun, the
whole plant is a deep dark red, but paler under lesser light.
      In other news, California Carnivores, as mentioned previously, has a new
employee, Daniel, who works on our website. It will now be possible for us to
do changes on our web much more frequently than before, and many changes have
already be completed. For one thing, we have listed virtually all the
Nepenthes plants on our sales tables, so it is no longer to call the nursery
for updates. Also, we have quoted many reviews of The Savage Garden there,
not only from our friends and customers, but publications such as Publishers
Weekly, the Los Angeles Times, and Science News. Much more will be added in
the future weeks.
     Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks! Peter