Re: The Germinator

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 04:55:31 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:55:31 -0500
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Germinator

Adao Pereira wrote:

> I found in my house a machine that ...keeps a constant temperature
> range between 32 and 38 C....it's very humid inside.
> Tell me, is this good for germinating Nepenthes? ...I read that
> Nep seeds need very hot and humid conditions to germ....

I have not found it to be true that Nepenthes seeds need "very hot"
conditions to germinate. Certainly it is not necessary to keep them
at 38 C. I've germinated some seeds by keeping them in the same
place and same conditions as my adult Nepenthes plants. In the summer
they see day/night temperature swings between 22 C and 35 C. In
the winter, between 14 C and 24 C. And they are exposed to light, which
I think is helpful in the germination process.

Does the machine you mentioned have an opaque plastic cover, which would
not allow light to shine on the seeds? If the cover is clear, then be
careful that the incident light does not add too much heat. You might
consider using the machine at its lowest temperature setting. I don't
know what the effect of constant temperature will be....

Regards,

Perry Malouf