US customs- problem if I order from WA?

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 02:01:53 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:01:53 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: US customs- problem if I order from WA?

 Hi everyone, this is Chad.

 I want to order a live Utric from Allen Lowrie in
Western Australia. My understanding is the plant
is live, not dormant, and not tuberous. Will US
customs have a problem with that?

 I wanted to order a plant from Marston Exotics,
in the UK. They sent to me a free catalog and
included a hand-written note that US customs
had been a problem when sending orders to the
USA. "We have had difficulties over the years
with plants sent to U.S.A. Customs your end seem
to destroy the top growth. So you need to know
where your custom point is and liase with them.
Seeds are no problem."

 Has anybody in the USA ordered a live plant
from Allen in WA? Please, tell me about your
experience.