Re: N.pollen, AlB.

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 16:56:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 13 Nov 98 19:56 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N.pollen, AlB.

Sorry to post here, but I send directly for some reason, and
I have bee seeing a lot of messages bounce with the recipients
as being unable to read "Mime."

Dear Al,

> Hi Dave, Read your missive to the CP list and was hoping you expand on
> frozen pollen storage for me. How long does it last? How is it
> stored? Does it lose viability?

   I really don't know, but since no one else seems to be trying
to save pollen, I may as well. I'm very interested in Nepenthes
and while TC is great (helps protect threatened plants), it also
reduces the novelty of people's collections.

   So seed is important, to continue breeding species and interesting
hybrids. N.lowii * N.ventricosa is really an awesome one!

   As far how long the pollen lasts, at less a couple months I figure.
I have been able to keep pollen fresh in the fridge for at least two
weeks, so in the freezer should be several times longer...

Dave Evans