Re: Re: Nitrozyme

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 15:47:44 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 18:47:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Nitrozyme

Dave Evans wrote:

> ...you have to use a control (and this doesn't mean one individual,
> but a sufficiently sized group called the control) for your
> experiment to have any true value.

I heartily agree with this, and that's why it's so hard for me to
accept a lot of the reports posted to the list. I've tried
Superthrive and in the long run I haven't found it to be a
spectacular growth enhancer. Nitrozyme does sound interesting,
and I'll probably want to try it, too. While I am encouraged by
Marc's report, I do not feel that a trial population of 4
plants, of different hybrids and species, without a control,
is a valid statistical trial. Using many plants of the same
clone and same age, in the same growing conditions, would be
a better test--half of them with a growth additive, and half
without. Then, repeat the same test for a population of a
different clone. Then another, etc.

That's why it's so hard for a hobbyist to test this stuff. It
takes a lot of room, a lot of attention, and quite a bit of time
to really pull it off.

My guide for growing Nepenthes is to look at the way the long-time
successful growers treat their plants. Visit the collection and
see how the plants look--how healthy they are. If the hobbyist
has kept the plants in very good condition for a long time then
that hobbyist must be doing things correctly.

I'd love to find a way to make the slow-growers grow faster:
rajah, villosa, tentaculata, etc. But no one I know has been
able to get around the slow growth rate using additives. The
plants that achieved any size from seed or TC did it via the
'old fashioned' way--time and proper conditions.

Regards,

Perry Malouf