Re: S. leuco. "Schnell's Ghost , yellow flower" what's that?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 16 1998 - 15:23:17 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:23:17 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. leuco. "Schnell's Ghost , yellow flower" what's that?

In message <001701be0f4e$00476fe0$89dd070c@chrst>, Christensen
<chrst@srv.net> writes
>Hi, this is Chad.
>As stated in the Subject, I'm curious about "Schnell's Ghost"
>I haven't found a description of it and I'm hopeing
> somebody on the mailing list can tell me about it.
>Is it harder to grow compared to other S. leucophyllas?

Hi,

S. leucophylla "Schnell's Ghost" is an unpublished cultivar from Martin
Cheek here in the UK. This plant has extremely white lidded pitchers
with no red colouring except as the pitcher nears dieback. The principle
characteristic though are the flowers which rather than the normal red
colour are pure yellow.

Martin originally named the plant after a mention of a "ghostly White
Plant" (I'm paraphrasing as I can't remembers the actual quotation) of
S. leucophylla. Contrary to popular myth here in the UK apart from the
name Don Schnell has no connection with this plant. In fact Don was
quite amused that a plant should be prematurely named after his ghost!!

Martin told me that he acquired the plant from Stephen Clemesha in
Australia back in the '80s. The plant was part of a shipment which
Stephen imported from the USA. I believe the plant was selected by the
exporter for its strong white colouring and only later when it flowered
was it discovered that the flower was yellow.

Other clones of S. leucophylla with yellow flowers are known to exist. I
have one imported about ten years ago into the UK from Bruce Bednar and
another from a south Alabama site (again originally selected for its
strong white colouring).

Perhaps this is another candidate to be named officially as a cultivar
along with the numerous cultvars created by Adrian Slack which I believe
are currently being prepared for publication.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson