Re: A couple of questions

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 17:41:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 30 Nov 98 20:41 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: A couple of questions

Dear Chris,

> 2. Along with questions about germinating seed of tuberous
> Drosera, how fast does D. stolinifera grow from seed, ie: once germinated,
> how long does it take to get to adult size?

   Many Drosera are flowering size within one growing season from
germination. However, bulbous Drosera tend to flower during their
second year, since they are often still too small through most of
their first year and then their growing season is cut short by
their strict dormancy.
   The one D.stolinifera I have from seed grew a rosette last summer,
this spring past it grew again, made a long stem, flowered and faded
before summer was really upon us. Today, I saw that it is making a
third appearance, on time this time, at the start of winter (Ok, we
have a month to go, but it looks like winter outside now.). I
expect it will flower again and more robustly now that it is in sync
with the seasons.

Dave Evans