RE: Cephalotus & low light levels

From: Brewer Charles E PHDN (brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil)
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 13:18:47 PST

Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:18:47 -0500
From: Brewer Charles E PHDN <brewerce@nswcphdn.navy.mil>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Cephalotus & low light levels

Hi Matt,
 I grow cephalotuses in all kinds of light from low to full sun. I have
tried them all with many different results. Low light seems to keep the
plants mostly green and bigger, not necessary healthier. Low light meaning
only two fluorescent lights over top their growing chamber. I have also
used 4 four fluorescent lights over top, this seems to work ok, but the tank
seems to heat up a lot causing some concerns. I start the smaller plants
under lights(2 fluorescent lights) until they get to about medium size, then
I take them out into the greenhouse where they get full winter spring and
fall sun, Summer time they go under the bench. I don't recommend anybody
taking their ceph out side and putting it in full sun unless they had been
growing outside in semi shade for a while, then I only recommend exposing
them to fall or cool winter sun. the plants I grow outside are a lot
healthier, but the pitchers will not get as large as the plants grown inside
a aquarium. As you can see, there is a give and takes to each method.
 John Hummer grows his plants in aquariums using both morning sun and
fluorescent lights. I believe his plants are growing in a room where the
windows face the east.
 John Hummer originally received the giant in with a bunch of rhizomes that
came from Australia. John was not aware that he had received three different
clones that would grow so large, but he did manage to give several rhizomes
away to friends. This is where it all stared. One clone produced a pitcher
over three inches long, resembling a tea cup. This clone grew like crazy for
a while until it just up and died. I don't know who else has a piece of this
plant, but from what I understand, it's still around the US. The main clump
of rhizomes were grown by John which produced two inch pitchers. I saw
Hummer about a month ago during a CP meeting in Washington DC. John told me
the story and that he only has the Hummer Giant. John did say was able to
get one of his plants to produce 2-1/2 inches pitcher.
 There are still several different Cephalotus clones floating around the US.
I currently have three clones, but only offer the Hummer Giant for sale.
The other two clones I have are still small and won't be ready for a while.
Hope this helps.

Charles Brewer