RE: Carnivorous plants outdoor

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 08:18:55 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:18:55 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Carnivorous plants outdoor

> I want to know if anybody has tried to put plants outdoor in lands where
the
>temperature falls below -10\260 C. I live in the north of France and I
would like to try with Sarracenia or
>with other plants as you will tell me...
>Hope it's possible.

Yes this is possible. The tall growing Sarracenia tolerate freezing weather
quite well. S. psittacina is the most sensitive, though, to freezing
weather and will need protection, either by relocating it, or by reducing
wind around the crown according to other members of the list. I lose some
psitts outside while others do fine. I've submerged S. pssittacina outside
for the winter here in Atlanta where it gets cold enough sometimes for the
water to freeze on the top of their container. Both plants survived being
planted in soil on the bottom of the container and this year I'm trying
three plants, which are floating on the surface right now. I'll have to
decide whether or not to let them stay there and bring them in on nights
where freezing is possible or to anchor them in the soil layer beneath.

Seedling S. psittacina in a narrow outside bog that's protected by a rock
border are doing great now for two years, except in places where the
Sartuna, the cat, decided to bask in the sun. I kept wondering why the
seedlings in the very middle of this 2 foot wide bog were dying until I
drove up one day in summer and saw the cat's head peak over the rocks from a
reclining position. It's a good thing I like the cat and have more backup
seedlings.

David
Atlanta