live sphag. as a medium.

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 11:23:41 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:23:41 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: live sphag. as a medium.

To all,

I located a commercial nursery (relatively close by-here in S. Florida)
that sells "live" (what they call "fresh") sphagnum moss to be used as a
medium/top dressing etc...

I know there are people out there that use live sphagnum as a portion (or
in entirety) as their growing medium. I would like to give this a try (in
my terrarium, because I am sure my outdoor temps are too high much of the
year).

My questions are as follows: I like many of you, get live sphagnum to grow
on the tops of my soil, when the dried stuff sprouts some dormant seeds. I
have found that in general, the live s. moss doesn't seem to live for a
long time. For those of you who are able to maintain live s. moss for the
long term:

Are there any tricks as far as keeping it alive as a viable medium?

Have you used it straight, or do you mix it with other soil components?

What have you grow in it successfully?

Thanks in advance for any advice...........

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com