Re: live sphag. as a medium.

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 02:49:58 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:49:58 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: live sphag. as a medium.

Hi Marc:

>My questions are as follows: I like many of you, get live sphagnum to grow
>on the tops of my soil, when the dried stuff sprouts some dormant seeds. I
>have found that in general, the live s. moss doesn't seem to live for a
>long time. For those of you who are able to maintain live s. moss for the
>long term:
>
>Are there any tricks as far as keeping it alive as a viable medium?
>
>Have you used it straight, or do you mix it with other soil components?
>
>What have you grow in it successfully?
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice...........

Here in the home of sphagnum moss, the way I grow it indoors is to provide
it with a bottom layer of milled peat, keep it cool and never let it dry
out. Never let _any_ fertilizer get on it and use bottled water if you
can't trust your tap water (chlorine and other additives). The stuff often
grows in vast open bogs, so good light with good ventilation is a needed.

Up here, indoors, even given the above treatment the stuff will sometimes
die back for the winter. As soon as the days get longer, it greens back up
again.

HTH

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Zone 5-ish on most given days
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>