Re: unlurking with aphids

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 17:17:13 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 06:17:13 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: unlurking with aphids

Hi Karen:

>I am looking for advice for I suddenly discover that my VFTs have aphids.
>
>They were doing so well, really! Blooms and all. What do I do to kill
>the blasted little sap-suckers? I have in the house these products:
>i-Bomb insecticide, Schultz Houseplants and Gardens Insect Spray, and
>Safer brand Houseplant Insect Killer. Are any of these going to do the
>job without killing the VFTs? (I'm loathe to experiment because I once
>killed several New Guinea impatiens that were infested with spider mites
>-- Safer is the stuff that did they in.

_Very_ dilute Safers Soap did not cause any problems on my VFTs, but a full
strength solution damaged the one I tried it on. If you use Safers, wash it
off immediately as it does its job on contact. The rest of the stuff you
mention should be safely disposed of, in my opinion; certainly not used on
CPs. There are alternate organic methods for treating insect infestations.

An easy and safe way to get rid of aphids would be to submerge the plants
in a container of water overnight with a _few_ drops of liquid soap (_not_
detergent) added to the water. As VFTs are accustomed to being submerged in
the wild for much longer periods, they will come to no harm, but the aphids
will. You may have to repeat this process a time or two, depending on the
amount of infestation, as the little buggers can hide in air pockets in the
soil and they like to journey down into the crowns. They also can leave
nits which may hatch out later, so keep an eye on them.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick
Maritime Canada, Zone 5-ish on most given days
<writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>