Re: Suggestion for a Greenhouse in Fl.

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 19:08:56 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:08:56 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Suggestion for a Greenhouse in Fl.

----------
>I am currently planning to construct a small greenhouse of 9 ft by 14
>feet. This will be for Nepenthes mainly. I am open to any suggestions
>that could help. Of concern is the heat. I live in west coastal Florida.
>I plan on using a fog system to lower the temps some 6 to 10 degrees.
>Many have said that a greenhouse isn't needed in cental & southern Fl.
>I disagree and feel that Nepenthes would benefit by having much higher
>constant humidity.

Hi Vincent,

I agree with Marc on this. The best looking Nepenthes I have ever seen in
Florida were grown in a greenhouse. Nearly as important as providing warmth
during the few cold days, is cooling during the extreme summer heat, when
relative humidities can get dangerously low. If at all possible, have a
swamp cooler and fans installed. Make the greenhouse as tall as possible,
with a method of venting air at its apex (a "ridge vent"). This extra height
allows hot air to rise above your plants, eventually venting out the top, as
it is pulled the length of the greenhouse by the exhaust fans. The idea is
for air to enter through the swamp pads, where it is cooled and humidified,
and exit via the fans and top vent. The plants grow in the cooler, lower
half of the greenhouse. In order for this to work, the greenhouse must be
completely closed in. Best to use a heavy poly with a built in shade
factor-- 63 -70 percent is about right The bright, milky glow of sunlight
through this material is much better than shade cloth, which tends to hold
in the heat. Fiberglass on top is okay, as long as sides are poly that can
be rolled up or removed in case of emergency. A small, closed-in greenhouse
in Florida during the summer becomes an oven!

I know this sounds a bit complicated, but if you can do it, you will have
success with even some highlanders.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida