Re: Sphag. moss pests

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 18:19:02 PST

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:19:02 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sphag. moss pests

>I'm wondering if anyone else has a pest problem with
>using dried Spag.moss. When I rehydrated the moss, there are
>little white insects that are really tiny. I know they are
>insects because when I lightly blow on the moss they scatter.
>Does anyone know what the are? How to get rid of them?

Peter, I think I've seen those, too. I took a sample of them to
a local garden-nursery store. Brought a magnifying glass, to
show them, but they didn't have a clue what they were. They
don't harm jade plants (my observation) and stay in the peat.
Anyway, they made me nervous, so I sprayed the soil with a
topical insecticide having the ingredients Resmethrin and
Pyrethrin- watered the insecticide into the soil. Since then, I
haven't seen those tiny, white bugs. I don't know where they
came from, and I don't know what they were. They didn't appear
to be harming anything. But, they were living in the soil
and the plant's roots weren't easy to watch for signs of harm.
To be safe, I chose to eradicate them.