re: Sphag. moss pests

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Sun Dec 20 1998 - 12:57:44 PST

Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:57:44 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Sphag. moss pests

> I'm wondering if anyone else has a pest problem with
> using dried Spag.moss. When I rehydrated the moss, there are little white
> insects that are really tiny. I know they are insects because when I
> lightly blow on the moss they scatter. Does anyone know what the are? and
> How to get rid of them?

Hi Peter,

It could be a species of springtail (collembola). They like a moist
environment, like spaghnum moss. The ones I have are white to silverish
grey, oblong and up to 1 mm long. They are quite fast movers and jump
when disturbed. Most springtails feed on fungi and decaying vegetative
matters. They will disappear when it's to dry, but usually they reappear
when the pots are watered again. Personally, I haven't noticed that they
cause any damage to my plants, so I just leave them alone.

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se