epiphytic utricularia

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 08:34:33 PST

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:34:33 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: epiphytic utricularia

I personally do not grow any utrics, but I happen to read something that I
really did not understand.

In "The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato, his soil recommendation for
epiphytic utricularia is:

1pt orchid bark, 1pt long fibered sphagnum, 1pt peat and 1pt perlite.

Now here is the part I do not understand......true epiphytes like orchids
and tillandsias can grow simply "stapled" to a tree or in an orchid basket.
 I know that from many orchid growers here locally, they claim that any
soil mixture used with an orchid is simply to make it "easier" to move
around (in a pot or basket..) In addition, I spoke to one particular
orchid grower who said that an orchid (which is of course an epiphyte)
would rot to pieces in wholesale fashion if kept in the aforementioned mix.
(he actually laughed at the thought of using such "wet" components like
peat AND sphagnum comprising 50% of the mix plus perlite and orchid bark!)

My question: Are epiphytic utrics more terrestrial in nature than true
epiphytes??

Any comments would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Marc I. Burack