re: epiphytic utricularia

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 06:30:23 PST

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:30:23 -0500
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: epiphytic utricularia

Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com wrote:
> Now here is the part I do not understand......true epiphytes like
>orchids and tillandsias can grow simply "stapled" to a tree or in an
> orchid basket.

It would be more accurate to say that _some_ eiphytes can grow "stapled"
to a tree. A great many epiphytes, including many orchid species, would
rapidly dry out and die in such conditions. The orchids that grow on
bare bark are probably in the minority. The majority of epiphytic
orchids, particularly cloud forest species, root into moss and rotting
debris that builds up on the branches. This debris can be quite
substantial and moist. I'm surprised that your orchid-grower friend
laughed at the idea of growing epiphytes in moist mixes. Either his
experience is limited to a small subset of the more robust epiphytes, or
he was exaggerating for effect. I grow many epiphytes in _pure_
sphagnum. It's an excellent media for many Pleurothallids,
Bulbophyllums, and highland Dendrobiums.

If I'm not mistaken, Utricularia traps require water to function
properly, and epiphytic utrics grow in waterlogged debris on tree
branches or in bromeliad cups. Thus, Peter D'Amato's advice would seem
quite sensible.

cheers,
       Nick

Nicholas Plummer