Re: scale/mealybug attack on Nepenthes

From: Dave (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 20:47:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 04 Jan 99 23:47 EST
From: Dave                                 <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: scale/mealybug attack on Nepenthes

Dear Steve,

> I've got a white scale, or white mealybug attack, in the early stages on
> one of my Nepenthes plants...I believe N. Rafflesiana. I applied safer
> insecticidal soap to the affected leaves. Will this alleviate the
> problem, or is there something else I should do? The Insecticidal Soap
> contains potassium salts of fatty acids.

   This is a good plan for dealing with this type of scale. However,
mealybugs can also infest the roots of your plants, as many a Sarracenia
can attest. Keep an eye out for any bugs you didn't get the first time.
Safer's isn't a poison and has to be sprayed directly on bugs you want
to kill, and it is easy to miss some. If they are also in the soil/
roots, some real poisons (I have decided I don't like poison much and
no longer advise on this subject as other's have much better advice
than I) may be needed too.

Dave Evans