Re:Climate questions

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 07:43:00 PST

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 08:43:00 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Climate questions

Mike in Reno, Nevada asked about the climate conditions that CP and
VFTs in particular can tolerate. I'm in Salt Lake City (not too far
and very similar conditions) and I find that mine do best when I put
them outside for the summer. I'm growing VFTs, Sarrs, and Drosera,
mostly all in one big, long, deep, window box-type pot. I keep them
in a sunny location, with maybe a bit of shade in the afternoon when
it gets really hot and dry. I also try to find a location in the
yard where they'll be protected from drying winds, such as a corner
by a wooden fence or a hedge. The humidity seems to be high enough
in the yard, and to make sure I usually water the grass and garden
areas near the plants in the evening (spraying the hedges and fence,
too), which I assume helps to keep the humidity a bit higher. They
only seem to suffer when the temps get close to 100f and the
humidity drops under 20%. I fill up the water tray every morning
and usually after work on hot, breezy days. I put them on a wooden
bench and a ll sorts of bugs find their way into the traps,
including snails that I've found dead in the S. purpurea venosa.
The plants have to come inside for the winter (it's way too cold
outside now), and I have them in the coldest, draftiest window I
could find in the house, and they're still dormant. Hope that
helps.

John Green