Re: B. gigantea cultivation (cold)

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 09:21:01 PST

Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:21:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: B. gigantea cultivation (cold)

Hi all,

        Peter D'Amato wrote an article in the CPN recently (Cultivating
cp's: highs and lows; if I recall correctly), in which he talked about
torturing B.gigantea by subjecting them to his winter. From what he
indicated, they were able to survive quite low temperatures briefly, but
didn't appreciate being waterlogged over the entire season. So, if you
keep them in a well drained container, I'd say try it and see. Of course,
make sure you have back-up plants indoors!

Happy growing,

Chris

 On Wed, 6 Jan 1999 L235@aol.com wrote:

> Jeff Dallas wanted to know about B. gigantea cold tolerance,
> specifically, whether or not it would survive in the Pacific
> Northwest.
>
> I've never let my Byblis freeze, although it's certainly gotten close
> (low of 35 degrees F has been fairly constant over the last few weeks
> in the cold frame ... and it may even have dipped below 32 F once or
> twice before I put it under glass.)
>
> At 35 degrees, it is green and healthy and (apparently) happy.
>
> I hope you can extrapolate from this for your own growing conditions.
>
> Jay Lechtman (Jay@carnivorousplants.org) Ashburn, Virginia, USA
> "There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness" ... Dave
> Barry

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences
Simon Fraser University