Re: B. gigantea cultivation (cold)

From: Chris Hind (chind@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 23:02:42 PST

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:02:42 PST
From: "Chris Hind" <chind@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: B. gigantea cultivation (cold)

>Jeff Dallas wanted to know about B. gigantea cold tolerance,
specifically,
>whether or not it would survive in the Pacific Northwest.
>
>I've never let my Byblis freeze, although it's certainly gotten close
(low of
>35 degrees F has been fairly constant over the last few weeks in the
cold
>frame ... and it may even have dipped below 32 F once or twice before I
put it
>under glass.)
>
>At 35 degrees, it is green and healthy and (apparently) happy.
>
>I hope you can extrapolate from this for your own growing conditions.

I live in the pacific southwest, specifically redondo beach, ca. I have
my byblis up on my deck getting full sun all day with the exception of
the marine layer overcast that comes every couple days. Its been getting
incredibly and unusually cold but my byblis can take it. I went outside
one morning and my windshield was a plate of ice, (unheard of down here)
and my byblis took it with damp soil nicely so im guessin its pretty
hardy course I was scared to death the frost had killed it. Its actually
getting healthier now, nice and gooey.