Feeding VFTs

From: GkramIII@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 23:57:31 PST

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 02:57:31 EST
From: GkramIII@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Feeding VFTs

I have kept VFTs for several years now inside my house under growlights.
Since these plants get little in the way of bugs they catch, I feed them on a
regular (once a week or two) basis. Usually only one trap per plant. I use to
buy only enough crickets to feed to the plants that day. The plants grew well
but never bloomed. But, now I feed only crickets that have been gut loaded
with "cricket food" and orange slices. These crickets are "DUSTED" with a
vitamin supplement just before feeding. Any unused crickets end up as dinner
for my tree frogs (or vice versa). I figured that if it is good for the
frogs, its good for the plants. The plants really love it!! I get three to
four blossom cycles a year. It almost seems that they are either blooming or
are sending up a floral stalk. I stopped pinching off the stalks because they
just kept sending up replacements. Does anyone else feed your plants this
way? Do you get the same results? Will this ( frequent blooming) hurt the
plants in long run?
Your comments would be apperciated.