Re: VFT Dormancy

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 14:30:15 PST

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:30:15 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Dormancy

>One other thing. I have been keeping an eye on the temperature
>profiles of the Wilmington NC area during winter. Many days, even in
>the dead of winter, are above 40f, nights averaging 35-45f. VERY
>RARELY do you see Wilmington, NC getting down to sub freezing
>conditions, at least for any extended period.

  It's a good idea to see how mother nature treats these plants. There
is another factor that should be considered though. In nature the VFTs
are usually burried in wire grass. In fact the only way to see these
plants in the wild is to locate the flower scapes and pull the grass
away as you reach the soil. It's my guess that the grass greatly
protects the plants from the freezing temps and winds.
  In cultivation I've had potted VFTs easily survive brief periods in
the mid 20s. As well, they don't have any problem with continuous temps
in the 30s, even with the upper layer of soil frozen. I can't explain
why, but the VFTs love a cool dormancy; in the spring they return
stronger than ever.

Stefan