Re: Repotting CP's

From: Marc I. Burack (marcb@companionfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 04:59:34 PST

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:59:34 -0500
From: "Marc I. Burack" <marcb@companionfinancial.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Repotting CP's

At 05:03 PM 1/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Getting ready to repot plants - I want to put something in the bottom of
>the pot to improve drainage and prevent the medium from slowly dribbling
>out the holes in the bottom of the pot.
>
>I have lots of pots in which long-fibered sphagnum has been used, but it
>can smell a bit mulchy as it breaks down in the bottom of the pot.
>
>In the Home Depot today I saw a sack of horticultural charcoal sold for
>just this purpose. Has anyone used this? I like the idea that the
>filtering action of the charcoal will help to keep the medium "fresh",
>but am worried about effects on ph or unforseen considerations.....
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Ian
>San Francisco, CA

Dear Ian,

I will give this one a go. I have been very successful using "rockwook"
at the bottoms of my pots to avoid the gradual loss of soil. Rockwool in
any format can be used. (Rockwool is "rock" that has been heated to about
a million degrees :-) and is then spun into fibers almost like cotton
candy. It has the feel and consistency of house insulation. It can
usually only be acquired from shops that specialize in hydroponics since it
is used heavily with that kind of growing.

The advantages are: it is completely sterile, it allows water to flow
through easily and it CANNOT break down since it is inorganic (it is rock).
 Also it is soft, fluffy, pliable and allows an enormous amount of oxygen
to penetrate even when it is wet.

The disadvantages are: This stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!

If you give it a shot I think you will be pleased. Rockwool has many uses
(rooting Nepenthes--this is by far the bast way!) but the fact that it can
never break down and is sterile is by far its best attributes in your
situation.

Marc I. Burack
marcb@companionfinancial.com