Re: Utricularia pollination and in-vitro propagation

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 07:26:02 PST

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:26:02 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utricularia pollination and in-vitro propagation

Dear Loyd,

> Was this the seed I sent you some years ago?

Maybe. I received seeds from various people.

> If you would
> like to get some more in cultivation I may be able to help
> in several weeks time.

TNX, but I do not need more.

> I have never managed to generate seed on my U.alpina plant
> which flowers regularly - this 'clone' does not appear to
> form pollen. I understand that this plant was originally
> from in-vitro and that other plants of U.alpina will quite
> happily set seed.

It could equally well be growing conditions, effects of a particular
clone, etc. The factors affecting seed fertility in Lentibulariaceae
are, as I mentioned in my previous mail, essentially unknown.

> Is there any possibility of the hormones
> etc in the growth media interfering with the plants
> biochemistry effectively making it sterile?

I am not able to exclude this possibility, but _U. alpina_ as well as
a whole lot of other species can be grown successfully without the
addition of any hormones.

> There are other
> reports of in-vitro plants 'going wrong' in the UK -
> Pinguicula which constantly divide but never flower, others
> which do not know what time of year it is and form winter
> rosettes in mid summer.

This is entirely normal in vitro.

>. I would be interested to know
> whether these observations are purely anecdotal or whether
> in-vitro cultivation can lead to subsequent problems when
> the plants are unflasked.

Both legend and truth seem to be involved here.

Kind regards
Jan