slime on Roridula seeds

From: Mike Vogl (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 01:08:33 PST

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:08:33 +0000
From: Mike Vogl <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: slime on Roridula seeds

A few weeks ago I recieved some Roridula dentata seeds. I soaked them in
water and then sowed them in a simple peat:sand mix.

After soaking them, I noticed that they appeared "fuzzy", as if they
were covered by tiny hairs.

Now, a few weeks later, the seeds are covered by a thick slime. It is
not fungus or algae; the material is not on the soil and does not rub
off on my fingers. Likewise, the seeds do not seem to be rotten or soft;
they look like they are still viable.

So my question: what is this stuff?
My observation would be that it seems to be a product of the seeds
themselves, as opposed to some sort of pathogen. Do Roridula produce
herbicidal chemicals to reduce competition (like Drosophyllum)? Might
they be carnivorous (like the seeds of Shepherd's purse)? Any other
suggestions?