Introduction

From: Steve Woodward (for238@abdn.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 09:40:03 PST

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:40:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Woodward <for238@abdn.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

Hi: I registered with this network last week, and have
already found many of the messages useful! I've been
working with carnivorous plants for the last 12 years,
since I was given two Heliamphora nutans plants from Oxford
Botanic Gardens to get them into tissue culture. Things
grew rather rapidly from there, and I have a large
collection, which includes all recognised species of
Sarracenia plus many hybrids, Heliamphora nutans,
Darlingtonia, Cephalotus, several Nepenthes and Pinguicula,
lots of different Drosera, Drosophyllum, Byblis, Catopsis.
Of course, I also have the (ever-present) Venus fly trap
too. A good range of species, in fact. And yes, most do
survive our northerly latitudes rather well, either in a
heated glasshouse (winter min. approx. 6 C), or in an
unheated polytunnel.

I continued my work with tissue culture of CPs when I moved
up to Aberdeen, setting up a laboratory at home, but its
getting a bit much for me to give the lab. the attention it
deserves, hence the following message sent into the
cp-tissue-culture digest last week. I hope this isn't
considered an inappropriate use of the network, but
heregoes:

'Is anyone in the UK or elsewhere in Europe interested in
purchasing a full micropropagation facility for carnivorous
plants, including lighting rig with 5 shelves (total = 7
square metres of space), 1.8m laminar flow cabinet,
cultures of about 80 species/varieties of CPs, balances,
lots of 450g jars with plastic and metal lids, baby food
jars. Several orders are 'on the go'.

I can sell off cultures individually, and could sell the
equipment separately, but I would prefer to sell the whole
unit as a going concern.

With a baby, various other species of animal demanding
my attention and a huge vegetable garden, I can't give the
CPs the attention they deserve. I would just maintain my
glasshouse and outdoor collection for my own pleasure.

Steve Woodward

PS The CPs are nothing to do with my University position
(address below) - my tissue culture lab. is at home.'

Any interest amongst users of this site? It is a small
commercial concern, with equipment valued at about
[Sterling] 1850 pounds, and thousands of plants in culture.
There are also several orders awaiting completion. I'm
convinced there is a reasonable living to be made by
someone with more time to spare than me!

Steve Woodward
----------------------
Dr. Steve Woodward
University of Aberdeen