RE VFT & Dried Flies

From: NEIL ARMSTRONG (n.armstrong@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 08:11:39 PST

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:11:39 -0000
From: "NEIL ARMSTRONG" <n.armstrong@virgin.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE VFT & Dried Flies

The VFT's trap mechanism is very much afected by temperature and during the
winter the closure rate is much reduced. However as the plant is just about
inactive (and there's no flies anyway) it does'nt really matter. I agree
that trying to feed during the winter is not a good Idea. There has been
loads of research done (by Lloyd, Darwin, Hooker etc) into what causes the
trap closure, but it's generally accepted to be a combination of
temperature, continual struggle by the insect & chemicals in the insects
body that trigger the release of the enzymes. Check out "Carnivorous
Plants" by F.E. Lloyd, you may have trouble finding the original 1942 copy
(it took me three years!) but it was republished in 1976 and should be in
most librarys. Cheers! Neil.