tuberous drosera germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Feb 02 1999 - 05:19:59 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:19:59 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: tuberous drosera germination

>I'm not too familiar with weather conditions in Western Australia during
>late summer/autumn but I suspect you would need to spray for several
>hours at a time to simulate the natural rainfall. :-) Far easier to soak
>the seeds for a few weeks!

Hi Phil and all,

A couple of months ago I planted a whole host of tuberous drosera seed and
was planning on burning leaves on top and chanting before setting them in a
tray of water. I haven't done that yet since I ordered some smoke filters.
The instructions with the smoke filters said to soak the filters in water
and then drop in the seeds. That's not an option now so I thought of
soaking the filters in water and then spraying the seeds after setting the
pots in a tray of water.

What would you and others suggest? Go back to the burning leaves and
chanting or stick with spraying smoke-saturated water?
And yet another idea I had was to enclose a seeded pot in plastic and set a
banana peel inside to release ethylene gas. Seems like I remember reading
somewhere that ethylene gas was released from burning leaves and was
responsible for germination of some species.

David
Atlanta