Re: Edible Ibicella

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 09:36:19 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:36:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Edible Ibicella

Hi Chris,

> I've been told you can cook like a vegetable or pickle and eat premature
> Ibicella lutea Devil's Claws? Does anyone else know of any other edible
> carnivorous (or subcarnivorous) plants? Any edible sundews?

        They're all edible, whether or not they taste good (or are
poisonous) is another thing. I do know that N.American Indians used to
use S.purpurea for a myriad of ailments, same with D.rotundifolia. Most
of the time, the roots, or entire plant, was boiled down, however I
wouldn't be surprised if the occasional leaf was eaten as well.

        No offence Chris, but I wouldn't think of inviting you over to my
place. I like my plants too much to have them eaten by someone ;)!

Happy growing (or eating!)

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences