Re: 1.Thrip control & 2.the S. rubra complex

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 14:48:30 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:48:30 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: 1.Thrip control & 2.the S. rubra complex

Hi,

> Any ideas on what is tried & true would be most appreciated.
> Another piece of advice I am after is with the Sarracenia rubra
>subspecies. I have read that it can take a few years once one repots a
>specimen for it to send out the proper Autumn pitchers, at the original

No I have never found this to be the case.

>size. Is this what other S. rubra growers have experienced? I am also
>wanting to know what various forms of S. rubra ssp. alabamensis do exist in
>cultivation. Is it true that there is a red form of the otherwise type
>golden green colour?

The sub-species is rare enough in cultivation to never (to my knowledge)
offer substantially different forms. Treat any claims with a degree of
suspicion since in my experience many supposed "forms" of S. rubra ssp
are no more than mis-named hybrids. I have certainly never heard of the
red form - though I'd like to see it if it exists!!

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk