hybrids

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 16:49:08 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:49:08 -0600
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: hybrids

Hey Listmembers:

I've got a question for you. I'm fairly new to the CP world, and I've
noticed that some of the plants available are hybrids. Is the
propagation of hybrids standard practice in horticulture? I spend the
majority of my free time caring for the several breeding pairs of
parrots that I have in my care, and in the world of aviculture, serious
bird breeders will often harshly condemn the breeding of hybrids because
we have such a limited number of bloodlines available in the U.S. Some
people go so far as to not breed different subspecies together? Are
hybrids not such a big deal here? Breeding mutations are one thing, but
breeding hybrids is totally different altogether from a bird keepers
point of view. I am unaware of status of many of the plants kept in
captivity, as far as endangered or threatened species are concerned.
This topic is a fast way to start a flame war on an avicultural list,
but in all good intentions, this is NOT the goal here, I'm simply trying
to educate myself. Thanks in advance.....

Will
wgorum@softdisk.com