Desmodium gyrans virus?

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 20:24:56 PST

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:24:56 -0700
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Desmodium gyrans virus?

I know, this is a carnivorous plants mailing list.
However, almost everybody I emailed about Mimosa
and Desmodium also had carnivorous plants. Part of
our fascination with c. plants may be their oddity,
so some cpers grow other odd plants?

Anyway, I was looking at my D. gyrans seeds and
noticed 4 seeds were light tan with black specs and
squigles; 2 seeds were redish brown (maroon?) with
less obvious black specs and squigles; and 3 seeds
looked intermediate light tan to redish brown and
had dark splotches instead of specs and squigles.
To summarize that- I'm seeing a lot of variation in
the colors of the seed coats.

Don't ask me the difference between dark splotches
and specs. I'm not sure how to describe that :)
Use your imagination.

Sometimes, those colors may mean a virus is in the
seed. I've seen that in pea seeds- my experience.

I can't remember where D. gyrans is from.
In 1970 the virus was found in D. canum from Florida.
Is it possible this virus may infect D. gyrans plants
  grown in the USA?

I used www.metacrawler.com , and typed in
   Desmodium virus
and clicked Search. One of the results:
http://image.fs.uidaho.edu/vide/descr299.htm
Below, that is only a small part of the webpage.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Desmodium mosaic potyvirus

Host range and symptoms
First reported in Desmodium canum; from Florida, U.S.A; by
   Edwardson et al. (1970).

Natural host range and symptoms
Symptoms persist.
Desmodium canum - mosaic, leaf malformation.

Transmission
Transmitted by a vector; an insect; Aphis craccivora,
  Myzus persicae; Aphididae.
Virus transmitted by mechanical inoculation; transmitted by
  seed (8%).

Geographical distribution
Spreads in the USA.