Aquatic cp's

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 00:29:09 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:29:09 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aquatic cp's

I've just finished renovating and expanding the carnivorous plant bog
display here at the Missouri Botanical Garden, and I added a little
pool in which to grow some aquatic cp's. It's roughly three feet long
by about 1 1/2 to 2 feet wide, and is about 18" deep. I've put a
cedar log in it to make it look "natural" and have planted some
sundews in cavities of the log. I'm thinking of trying to grow
Utricularia inflata in the pool, since that seems like possibly
the showiest species for the public to be able to see. I'd also like
to put in some U. gibba since we do have that natively in Missouri,
but I don't expect people will notice it much.

Does anyone have experience growing U. inflata? How acidic does my
water need to be? (I've added peat to the reverse osmosis water and
have it down to 5.5 so far). The display is in a conservatory that is
cool in winter (45 or so at night), and hot in summer (95 to 105 is
common). The pool will get a fair bit of sun, though not full sun.
The log will help shade underneath the surface of the water.

Also, if this will work, anyone know where I can get U. inflata?
(or some other showy utric. if this one wouldn't work). I already
have some good U. gibba growing along.

Thanks for any help!
Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden