Re: Costa Rica cps

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 14:45:30 PST

Date:          Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:45:30
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Costa Rica cps

Dear Ed,

> Now I'm off to
> beautiful Costa Rica (if I get through the semester alive). Unable to find
> any hits on Costa Rica using the search engine on the database,

You should use an appropriate search term. Costa Rica is abbreviated
C.Rica in the database (cf. explanations at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/botany/public_html/cp/html/db_formt.htm). I got
9 hits (add the ubiquitous _U. gibba_ and _U. subulata_, and you have
11; Missouri lists only 7). All are fairly widespread _Utriculariae_,
perhaps the most noteworthy being _U. endresii_ and _U. praetermissa_,
both of the epiphytic _U. alpina_ group.

I would not be surprised if some of the more widespread species of
_Drosera_ grew there as well. The sub-cp enthusiast may find some
delight in the _Catopsis_ growing there.

Not really much to write home about, cp-wise. Better look for
parasitic or saprophytic plants, or just enjoy the beach!

Kind regards
Jan