Re: Sterile Drosera hybrids

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 14:35:46 PST

Date:          Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:35:46
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Sterile Drosera hybrids

Dear Rich,

> >Have you really tested this? So far most _Drosera_ hybrids involving
> >parents with *equal* ploidy have in fact been *fertile*.
(...)
> I was under the impression that one of the most popular pygmy sundews in
> cultivation, formerly referred to as "Lake Badgerup", was in fact D.
> nitidula ssp. omissa x D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis and that this
> was a sterile hybrid.

So you know the chromosome number of _D. occidentalis_? If you
really do, please tell it to me. It has AFAIK not been published yet.
*Equal* ploidy in the context above means equal number of
chromosomes. For the mentioned hybrid this would mean that _D.
occidentalis_ would require to have the same chromosome count as _D.
nitidula_ (in the form Lowrie & al. erroneously regarded as subsp.
omissa, distinctly different from the type of the latter taxon), i.e.
2n=28.

> Fact or fiction?

Difficult to tell with a missing chromosome count.

Kind regards
Jan