Hello!

From: Steve Alton (S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 06:00:07 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:00:07 -0000
From: "Steve Alton" <S.Alton@rbgkew.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hello!

Hi - I have just subscribed, and been told that an introductory
posting is called for, so here goes....

My name is Steve and I work at the Millennium Seed Bank, part of
the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England.

I have been growing CPs for, er, 16 years (can it really be that
long?), ever since I was a kid, but for the last 10 years or so most
of my collection has been in "storage" ie. looked after by my
parents, due to lack of space (I _will_ buy a greenhouse one day!)
with just a few choice plants accompanying me from windowsill to
windowsill as I have moved houses and jobs.

The bulk of my collection consists of Sarracenias - most of the
species represented plus the beginnings of an interesting
hybidisation programme, also "on hold". Added to those are a few
Drosera and my pride and joy, a big, healthy, red Cephalotus under
a plastic dome. I visit these plants (and my parents!) regularly to
prune, repot and generally moon around, dreaming of
conservatories.

Living with me currently are a couple of Sarracenias and two
Nepenthes in hanging baskets, above the bath but still not happy
enough to produce pitchers.

Aims for this year are to expand my windowsill collection with a
few Drosera, to try Polypompholix and Byblis for the first time, to
have another go at Darlingtonia from seed, and possibly
Heliamphora if I can get hold of some.

And that's me - look forward to being part of the list.

Steve Alton
UK Co-ordinator - Millennium Seed Bank
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Wakehurst Place